Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Economic Crisis: Shall We Fear?

It’s Wednesday, October 8, 2008, and I read this on an online news page at 3:00 P.M.: “Deep Recession Imminent”. The markets have plummeted; banks are collapsing; the Fed and World Bank are scrambling to the rescue; the housing market is anemic; and jobs are threatened. Shall we fear?

Rynette and I talked about this last night before we prayed and went to sleep, and I was reminded that how we respond to the national/international financial emergency will show what and who we love, trust, and worship. I do not write this flippantly; I know what the gnawing sensations and adrenaline rushes of anxiety and fear are like. Through His Word our kind God has taught Rynette and me much about fear during the last year. He showed us that where there is fear, idolatry accompanies it.

I encourage you to war against fear and idolatry in these very unsettled times with truths found in the Word of God:

* The Lord does not change!

“For I, the LORD, do not change…” Malachi 3:6

* God is with you!

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my Righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

* Money won’t last!

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust (and faulty financial systems) destroy and where thieves (and greedy financiers) break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.” Matthew 6:19-20

* Christ is worthy of your focus, not money!

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:21

* God will take care of you!

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food (and finances)...Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow…” Matt. 6:25,34

* Pray and be thankful!

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for keeping our head turned toward God and not our circumstances.....

    ReplyDelete