Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bible Gleanings

Leviticus

  • God is sovereign over disease.  “The LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, say, ‘When you come into the land of Canaan, which I give you for a possession, and I put a case of leprous disease in a house in the land of your possession...”  (Lev. 14:33).
  •   *   For the glory of God, who gives life, let us pray against the  idolatrous culture of Molech that prevails in our culture because of abortion of babies!  “Any one of the people of
    Israel or of the strangers who sojourn in Israel who gives any of his children to Molech shall surely be put to death” (Lev. 20:2)
  • “Whoever curses his God shall bear his sin.  Whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death” (Lev. 24:15-16).  Hmmm.  Go to Luke 12:10-- “And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.”

Psalms
  • Are you poor and needy?  God thinks about you!  “As for me, I am poor and needy, but the LORD takes thought for me” (Psalm 40:17).
  • And He blesses us when we consider poor people.  “Blessed is the one who considers the poor” (Psalm 41:1).
  • Sin-sick?  Ask the Lord-- “O LORD, be gracious to me, heal my soul, for I have sinned against you”  (Psalm 41:4).
  • “My tears have been my food day and night...” (Psalm 42:3).  What does that mean?
  • A verse for insomniacs: “By day the LORD commands His steadfast love, and at night His song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life” (Psalm 42:8).
  • “Hope in God...Hope in God...Hope in God” (Psalms 42:8, 11; 43:5).
  • His presence and strength are God-sized when I am troubled!  “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1).

Matthew
  • Jesus calls me to seriously battle sin!  “If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away.  It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into eternal fire.  And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away.  It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire” (Matt.18:8-9).
  • Want to follow Jesus?  Forgive!  “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him?  As many as seven times?  Jesus said to him, I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven” (Matt. 18:21-22).
  • Lord, bless and protect the marriages of Rocky!  “What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate” (Matt. 19:6).
  • Why do people divorce?  Hard hearts.  (Matt. 19:8)
  • Why does Matthew include the “exception clause” in 19:9.  See Matthew 1:18-19 and think about it please.
  • Hallelujah!  Salvation is God doing the impossible!  “Who then can be saved?...With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible” (Matt. 19:25-26).
  • Do you want to be great?  Die.  (Matt. 20:26-28).

Acts
  • How did Luke know what was written in the letter of Acts 23:26ff.?
  • The Easter season is upon us.  “Why is it thought incredible by any of you that God raises the dead?” (Acts 26:8)
  • Repentance, change of mind and behavior: “...They should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance” (Acts 26:20)
  • Why did Paul appeal to Caesar when he might have otherwise been set free?  The gospel!  “This man could have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar” (Acts 26:32).

No comments:

Post a Comment