Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jim Elliot and Nate Saint

Last Sunday, when I preached on 2 Chronicles 14:11, I spoke of Jim Elliot, Nate Saint and their teammates who were all killed by Auca Indians in Ecuador, martyred for the cause of Christ and His gospel.  Today I was reminded that the very day of this sermon, January 8, was the 56th anniversary of these men's death-- Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Peter Fleming, Ed McCully, and Roger Youderian.  I was two and a half years old on that day.  The impact of their lives, ministries and deaths continue to impact the evangelical missions movement today.

Tim Challies has provided information regarding helpful resources for you to learn more about these men and their work and families. I encourage you to check out his blog where this information was posted on January 9 and entitled "The Ecuadorian Martyrs" (www.challies.com).  One resource he lists is a talk by Nate Saint's son, Steve, given at the 2005 Desiring God Conference.  I attended that conference and, like Tim Challies, I was deeply moved and challenged.  (I think Steve lives in the Orlando area, and I would love to invite Steve to speak here at RBBC during a future missions conference.)

No comments:

Post a Comment