Monday, April 7, 2008

April 7, 2008

After “Criticism and the Cross”, the Peacemaker sermon on April 6, it was beautiful that Pastor Carey Dean obeyed the Spirit’s prompting to call us to prayer in couplets and open our lives to humility, thereby opposing pride and its destructive power. I had a sweet, quiet time of prayer with a man who was sitting in the front row where I usually sit during gathered worship. And the subdued, holy hum of prayer was lovely to hear in the worship center.

May God be pleased to grace us with desires to battle pride and humble ourselves before Him! Here are three passages from Isaiah that help us know how we can do this:

  1. Seek God and His glory and be astounded!

“In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of His robe filled the temple. Above Him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said:

‘Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts;

the whole world is full of His glory.’

And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said, ‘Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.” Isaiah 6:1-5

  1. Seek to be broken over sin so that you may be revived!

"And it shall be said, ‘Build up, build up, prepare the way, remove every obstruction from my people’s way.’ For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: ‘I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the heart of the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.’” Isaiah 57:14-15

  1. Tremble at God’s Word!

“All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at My word.” Isaiah 66:2

No comments:

Post a Comment