Tuesday, April 1, 2008

March 31 - "Do You See Conviction of Your Sin as a Happy Thing?"

The fourth in our Peacemaker sermons rose out of Psalm 32. The thrust of the text and the sermon begs the question: Do we think of conviction of our sins as a good, happy thing? We ought to, because the Word tells us that conviction brought David to confession leading to his testimony—

"Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit” (32:1-2).

Conviction brought him to a place of great happiness and joy because it moved him to confess his transgression and sin and iniquity to God.

Conviction for David was miserable (and all of you who have experienced the Spirit’s convicting work know of this misery): physical symptoms, heavy conscience, a sense of the Father’s displeasure, and sapped strength. Then he

“acknowledged his sin to [God] and did not cover [his] iniquity…and [God] forgave the iniquity of [his] sin” (32:5).

And God blessed him, and He blesses us when we confess our sins (1 John 1:9).

Therefore, it is true that God’s conviction of our sin is a good and happy blessing for us.

Because all of us want to be blessed by Him, it makes sense that we would welcome and invite His convicting work in us.

Do we? If we don’t we are choosing against joy and blessedness and preferring sin and misery.

"Blessed is the one…”

Do we believe this?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the reality of the Helper the Holy Spirit convicting me for my good and for God's pleasure .
    I still remember trying to " not sin " without the power of GOD and He taught me to apply His WORD to every situation and circumstance and breath really .......I have been convicted of PRIDE in recent days and it is for my benefit to be humbled by GOD in that He is showing me that He is HOLY and His Holy Spirit helps me to walk in holiness more and more as HE is the Helper for the purpose of holiness in my life.
    It starts with confessing my sin and asking GOD to cleanse me from specific sin and HIM allowing me to embrace specific promises and His words of wisdom and His power allowing me to walk in newness of life and accepting the truth that HE does not remember my sin and I can walk in assurance of HOPE and JOY and FAITH .
    I love Jesus because He is the author of my faith and the finisher and I can trust in HIM because He died for my sins and He is the true REDEEMER of my life .
    Indescribable gift of GRACE indeed HE is my LORD and KING and HE is my DELIVERER from Sin and from Death .
    Happy in Jesus indeed but only for GOD'S glory :-)))
    WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Carey - Thanks for "Going Deeper" with us and for teaching and preaching so clearly from God's Word. May God richly bless you and Rynette and your family as you serve Him by serving and shepherding us at Rocky!

    ReplyDelete