Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Substitution—The Heart of Both Sin and Salvation

 

Here is the quote from Dr. John Stott (in his book, The Cross of Christ) I gave in my sermon on Resurrection Sunday:

“The concept of substitution may be said, then to lie at the heart of both sin and salvation. For the essence of sin is man substituting himself for God, while the essence of salvation is God substituting Himself for man. Man asserts himself against God and puts himself where only God deserves to be; God sacrifices Himself for man and puts Himself where only man deserves to be. Man claims prerogatives which belong to God alone; God accepts penalties which belong to man alone.”

Christ, our Substitute! “Amazing love, how can it be? That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?”

3 comments:

  1. Dear Pastor Carey !
    I am extremely thankful for your in depth preaching on the death of Jesus Christ on the cross for me(us) and also for the emphasis on the living Christ ; Who is seated at the right Hand of God interceding for us and Who is worthy of my (our) love , trust and worship daily and I am very aware of the urgent need for preaching precept upon precept <>< I am so delighted that you dig in the treasures hidden in Scripture and share with me (us)
    His love still amazes me <><
    Anna forever in Jesus Christ <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctrine of Christ's penal substitutionary atonement is regularly under attack, and I appreciate preaching and writings which uphold it. Thanks, pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this - I'd meant to ask you for it, as I couldn't copy it all down fast enough! I am still in awe of the incredible worship times the Lord gave us all together last weekend, both Friday and Sunday. Thanks for your commitment to preach the Truth of God's Word, and not add to it or take away from it. We thank God for you OFTEN, and know He is exalted as You magnify His Name and make much of Christ!

    In His Grace,
    Jodie for the Richters

    ReplyDelete