Tuesday, August 11, 2009

“Cut to the Heart: God’s Power in His Word”

On Sunday morning, August 9, 2009, I preached from Acts 2:37-41, zeroing in on verse 37 especially. Of course, this verse follows v. 36: “Let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” That verse is absolutely devastating and wonderful because it points to two life-and-death truths: 1. That all the Jews present for Peter’s Pentecost day sermon (whether they were directly involved in calling for the Lord’s execution or not), and all people including us are implicated in this—“…this Jesus whom you crucified.” That is, because of our self-centered, self-dependent sinfulness, we are in agreement with those who crucified Jesus and at odds with God; and 2. This crucified Jesus was crucified to save countless self-centered, self-dependent sinners like you and me.

How do you receive verse 36? O, that God would wield His truth and cut us all to the heart, revealing our thoughts and intentions (Hebrews 4:12) in the light of His Word, waking us to flee to Jesus Christ in repentance and faith, and sanctifying us in the Truth. May it be that we welcome the piercing, surgically precise two-edged sword of God’s Word, and that we never be unmoved and cold at this thought—“…this Jesus whom you crucified.”

I am reminded of my favorite hymn, “And Can It Be”, by Charles Wesley:

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

He left his Father’s throne above,
So free, so infinite His grace;
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam’s helpless race;
Tis mercy all, immense and free;
And O, my God, I found out Me.

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quick’ning ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free;
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him is mine!
Alive in Him, my living head,

1 comment:

  1. I pray that His Word will cut me deeply so that there will be more of Him and less of me.

    ReplyDelete